Putting a condo in a family member's name and HST due on closing to CRA

I am in the process of completing a sale for a new condo in the financial district of Toronto and my clients have a question about how HST will be applied to this purchase.  My client lives in Dubai but his brother and nephew live here in Canada.  Should we be putting the condo purchase in the name of one of the family members who lives here in Canada?  I ask because I want to make sure that my clients can get the HST rebate back and recover the $22,000 they will owe on closing.  Thank you.


By HST Relief
Great question.  You do not have to be Canadian nor have a SIN number or reside in Canada to qualify for the HST Rebate on a new condo.  So, you are free to put the condo in your clients name even though he lives in Dubai and still claim the rebate.  He must qualify for the program, of course (e.g., have a 1 year lease with a renter for the new residential rental rebate HST rebate program). 
Call us for assistance with your filing at 1.866.832.1990.  We also offer loans to cover the portion of HST due on closing. 

First Canadian Place • 100 King Street West • Suite 5700 • Toronto, ON • M5X 1C7

jack-wong Tridel-logo SR_Logo-BlackRed-stacked-short Team-Lemos-image Del-condo-rentals-LOGO
Powered by RWARDZ